Sunday, September 28, 2008

What a weekend!










Todd took Friday off. Partly because the kids had the day off school and partly because he has been working so much overtime on the weekends lately. He got his car's oil changed, emissions done and registered. Something that I had told him that I'd help with but didnt get to it. I slept in actually. I have been fighting a cold. I really thought that it was allergies - but no it wasnt in the end. Colds are so draining! Anyhow, Todd requested that we go to the canyon for a little hike ( I didnt hike as far as Todd and the dogs.) It was such a beautiful warm day and the leaves were turning. I sat and watched the kids play in the creek/ waterfall area that we love. They were soaking wet but had a great time. We came home and ate lunch. Then Todd and I went to the temple with many of our ward members. Our ward friends and neighbors, Brett and Lydia went throuhg the temple for the firt time.Lydia was baptized just a year ago. It was so wonderful to be there!! That night Brandon left for a campout.

Saturday morning Trevor left early for the same campout with his Webelos leader. Christen had a birthday party to go to and Todd and I headed for the temple again to see our same friends sealed as a family with their children. It was incredible. The spirit was so strong and it was so neat to be there with our ward family. I always choke up when they bring in the kids. Their little boy waved at me. It was the cutest thing. We are so blessed to have such a GREAT ward!!

After that Todd got a ride home and I had a few minutes to prepare myself for the funeral of Brooke, the girl I mentioned in the previous posts. I sat outside the temple by the fountain and took some pictures of the temple grounds. The flowers are amazing right now.

I drove to the church and met up with the other stake ladies. There was a beautiful display of pictures, bright flowers, scrapbooks, buttons with her picture on them, and memories from classmates and primary children. I never actually got to see her last week because I ran out to look for the ambulance. The service was incredible. The father gave a wonderful eulogy and told fun and mischievious memories as well as fond, precious moments with their little girl. It really was heartbreaking, but the family were such a great example of strength and faith in the gospel plan. I held it together for the most part until there was a solo that was performed of Families can be Together Forever, but he had changed the words up a bit to fit it from Brooke's perspective now. Our Presidency all gave eachother a group hug at the end and we went on our seperate ways.

(A few of you asked what actually happened to Brooke. Shee had been sick with croup and some other bronchial infection the last few weeks and had antibiotics etc, getting over it ok. They had ridden their bikes to church, which apparently they often do. She was just fine for the first 2 1/2 hours of church and then went out to get a drink of water and collapsed there from a massive asthma attack. Her mom was her Primary teacher and she and the dad were both at the scene instantly. It was decided that if it had happened at any other time -like at school, on a field trip, at a friends house or whatever, both parents would not have been able to be there. She died after beng at church, singing primary songs, taking the sacrament, being together as a family.)

From there I went straight to Todd's band concert at the library. I met Todd's parents there and Christen showed up there from her party. He did a great job! This is such a great hobby for him! We came home and had a BBQ. After the folks left I went to the RS general broadcast at the stk ctr. It was so awesome!! It was a great finish to a pretty emotional and busy day. I cant wait for Conference next week.

Today we had a nice normal Sunday together. Originally, we thought we may be helping out PM ward primary with whatever they needed after their tragedy, but they requested to do it on their own. I think I was traumatized a but because I kept mentioning to Todd and the ladies that I was there with that I hoped all of our Primary kids got home safe. We actually couldnt find Brandon for a bit because his class got out late and that freaked me out!

Ok that is it for now.




2 comments:

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

What a fun weekend....nice pics!! Makes me miss Colorado....and especially the Ellis family!!!

Gwen said...

Now THAT'S a busy weekend! Good to hear that your life is busy, happy, and full!

Our Music


The Great Sand Dunes

The Great Sand Dunes
Here we are at the visitors center. Todd and Christen actually climbed pretty far up the dunes. We had fun playing in Medano Creek after we climbed.

Dancing Christen

Dancing Christen
Christen just had a recital with her group and did a great job!

temple fountain

temple fountain
One more of the temple visit. Every kid loves the fountain!

Mt Rushmore

Mt Rushmore

Families are Forever

Families are Forever
for Brooke and Family